Monday, July 6, 2009

A One Ringed Wife

So after much consideration, I've decided to forgo the wedding ring. I've never been a ring girl. My fingers are short and rings just make them look shorter and fat. I've adjusted to wearing my engagement ring and actually feel naked without it. I thought it would be the same with a wedding band, so I wore a ring with my e-ring and it felt weird. I didn't get used to it -- it just felt like a lot on my finger and I hated the way it hid the details of my e-ring.

the details I didn't want to cover up


I asked Mr. Joey if he cared if I skipped the wedding ring and just wore my e-ring and he said he didn't care. Yay! He didn't care. I didn't think he would. A not wearing a wedding ring didn't make us any less married.

But then, I bought a ring. Nothing fancy. Just a set of really, really thin sterling silver stacking rings. Why? Well, I never travel (for work) with my e-ring. I don't like to travel with expensive jewelry. I don't want to get it stolen or lost and I always feel guilty for having something so luxurious. My ring wasn't expensive, but I know how many people it can feed in Ethiopia or Zambia. I don't want to ever feel permanently guilty for having it, so I try to avoid the situation entirely.

So I bought a set of 7 stacking rings from Kate Szabone on Etsy. They are pretty but they don't look expensive. They fill the space on my finger usually occupied by my e-ring and gives people the indication that I am married. I also chose the stacking ring because if I lost a ring, I wouldn't be heartbroken about it. I could just add another ring or easily replace them.


image


The question now what ring is slipped on my finger during the ceremony -- the e-ring or the travel wedding rings? I can't decide. Any ideas?

No comments: