Friday, July 24, 2009

Details, Details -- the Honeymoon

Even though we're not done with the wedding madness, I've already started prepping for the honeymoon. We got all the big plans out of the way like hotels and transportation, it's just all the little details like packing we need to do.

I'm a pretty experienced traveller but this trip is going to test my packing skills. We've got all sorts of packing requirements. We need clothes for spring weather (cool temps) and clothes for summer. We need to be able to go from beach bum to opera goer but still fit everything into fairly small bags since we're going on planes, trains and a boat (oh my!). Plus, we need to be able to pack enough reading and listening materials to at least get us to Australia.

I've got the reading and listening materials covered. I've been saving magazines for weeks and picking up books at Goodwill. We also have plenty to listen to thanks to everyone's suggestions. I'm still working on the clothes part. Every time I think of a versatile outfit I can bring with me, I jot it down on a notebook I carry around. I also jot down all the random things we'll need that I may forget in the heat of packing like my reading glasses, lip balm and a reusable shopping bag.

The besides the reading materials, I've been gathering up all the essentials I'll need for the flight. My favorite new find are the travel packets from La Fresh. They make travel wipe size everything - deodorant, hydrating lotion wipe, DEET-FREE Insect Repellent wipe, etc.

image

I ordered the sampler pack for my last trip to Ethiopia and really liked what I used. They were easier to travel with (no special plastic bag or bottle), I could dispose of what I used instead of carrying around an empty bottle, and they didn't take up any room in my already full carry-on.

I also always bring my own blanket on board the flight (who knows what lives on airplane blankets) and I always bring a snack. Sometimes I just can stomach airline food. My Luna bar usually sounds more appealing.

What are your must have travel items?

No comments: