Friday, July 17, 2009

The Debbie Downer Post

I'm feeling it. The pressure. The exhaustion. The regret. We're less than 2 weeks out and I'm tired and feel like I'm missing a million details. My lists are getting shorter, slowly, but not without a few projects tossed out due too fatigue or just lack of time.

I keep telling myself I can do it, but sometimes I really wonder if I'll get to that summery Saturday in August in one piece. Mr. Joey has been trying to calm me down and tell me that we'll survive this and while it helps, it doesn't help much.

I don't want to "survive," I want to enjoy the last few days. I want to wish they would never end and not count the hours until they are over. I feel like we have so much on our plate and no one understands that but me. In a span of a week, I have my shower, bachelorette, rehearsal dinner, wedding, after party and day after lunch.

Here's an example of people not understanding. My parents planned on throwing a small lunch the day after the wedding. It was suppose to be a 20 people, mostly the folks in the wedding party and a few close friends. The told me on Tuesday that they would now like me to make 25 invitations and have the designed, cut and ready by Thursday. I told them the people coming to lunch didn't need invitations and they told me these were for the other guests. The other guests? They are now inviting people (about 50), most of whom they didn't invite to the wedding.

I tried to talk them out of it but they aren't hearing it. I tried to convince them to postpone the party a few weeks but they weren't interested in that either. I tried to explain I was REALLY busy this week getting other wedding stuff together and they asked me why I waited until the last minute to check these tasks off my list. I didn't have the energy to fight with them so I did it. It took hours and I didn't get my other real wedding tasks done this week, but they have invitations.

I secretly wish I had done what my sister (and Ms. Mary Jane) did and had a courthouse wedding followed by a small lunch and then later, much later, had a huge informal BBQ or something at our new house. But my other secret, I hope I don't feel that way on my wedding day.

Anyone else feeling this way? How are all you other August brides holding it together?

No comments: