Sunday, May 31, 2009

Rehearsal Invites? CHECK!!

Now that everyone has received their rehearsal dinner invites, I can finally share with the hive the project that occupied more time and patience than I had anticipated.

Do you remember the design I can up with which was inspired by a Banana Republic ad? I really liked the simple design. I was all set to go with design until I tried to print it. The printer hates me. It wouldn’t print on the cards I bought (too small). I tried creating a folding greeting card layout but the printer wasn’t having that either. The text inside would come out slightly off center.

After a few hours wasted trying to negotiate with the printer, I finally gave up on my beloved design and went back to the Illustrator drawing board. After a few failed attempts, I came up with a design I didn’t hate and I knew I could print.

Behold…



I incorporated our logo into the design but changed up the look with the dots. This isn’t the design FMIL Joey signed off on, but I hope she likes it.

While I was at it, I made a few extra copies of the design to use as an inner envelope. I didn’t have a pre-made inner envelope template so I just took apart one of envelopes I bought, trimmed it and used it to trace around. It was a little extra work but it was worth it in the end.



I made a really simple map with directions in Illustrator and used the rehearsal dinner invite design as a border.


I also used the design on the labels as border. I thought it tied everything together.



All together, I spent $7.55 on the invites. I only bought envelopes. I had a package of 80lb paper from the favors that I cut down to size. I only needed 5 sheets. The rest of the paper (inner envelopes and map) I had laying around. The printing was free. The envelopes came in a pack of 50 and I only used about 22. The rest I can use for Thank You cards or other projects. In all, the rehearsal dinner invites cost about $0.37 each. Not bad!

When I was making these invites, I was scolding myself for not buying them pre-made. My battles with the printer were long and hard fought. Now that I calculate the cost and see the end result, I see it was worth the war with the printer.

Did you have a DIY project that didn’t seem worth the work at first but totally redeemed itself when it was complete?

No comments: