Friday, May 15, 2009

Leave. the. Registry. Alone?

If I could change the caption on this cartoon, it would say, "I'll be back later -- I'm going to Marshall's to practice my registry buying resistance techniques."

I have a problem. No, it doesn't have to do with shoes or clothes (though that can be a problem). Yes, my problem is that I keep buying stuff off our registry. Our registry is small enough as it is and now I'm buying stuff off it.

I'm a Marshall's shopper (I admit it) and sometimes Ross. For some reason those stores can have an amazing house and kitchenware selection. Seriously. Mr. Joey and I went to Marshall's to stock up on socks and what do I see? Le Creuset dutch ovens in red. I would have bought it if I didn't already own it. Actually, I almost bought it to give as a present. Amazon.com price for the 4 and 1/2 quart dutch oven? $204.95. Marshall's? $65.99. Now you understand my problem.

So yes, we're at Marshall's buying socks over the weekend and I walk out of there with an OXO garlic press ($9.99), 2 OXO Good Grips Silicone Oven Mitt with Magnet ($2.50 each!) and a Kuhn Rikon Paring Knife ($4.99). Help!

This isn't the first time I've picked off the registry. We bought all our drinking glasses because I found them at Ross for $6.99 a set instead of the $29.99 Macy's was charging. I did check the quality and there are no dings, scratches or flaws we can't live with.

I also bought two 6 piece sets of Laguiole Steak Knives for $8.00 a set. Seriously?

These retail between $40-100 a set. So I have two problems actually. 1. I'm cheap. I can't stand to ask someone buy me a present that costs $60 when I know I can find the exact same item for $10. 2. I keep dealing with problem 1 by just buying stuff off our registry when it's on sale.

I have to say, our registry problem isn't limited to Marshall's and Ross. If I see one of my registry items on clearance at Macy's or Bed, Bath and Beyond, I usually buy it.

Anyone else have my problem? And when I think about it I wonder if it is a bad problem to have.

No comments: