Thursday, May 28, 2009

dolla dolla bill y'all

We got our first official wedding present a few weeks ago. I say first official because my parents made us an offer we could refuse earlier. My Mom said she wants to gift it in a card, so it's not quite ours yet. So back to the first official gift. My friend Katie of the panel let us know a month ago that she couldn’t make it to the wedding.

It was hard news to get not only because I really wanted her there, but because I also wanted her to see the wedding she helped plan. Katie has been in on a lot of decisions, from the dress to the invites. All is not lost though. We might get to have a little pre-wedding celebration in D.C. in June. I'm looking forward to seeing her again -- it's been 3 years!

Anyway, Katie sent us our first official gift. It wasn't on the registry. It was cash but with a twist. She sent us Australian dollars to use on our honeymoon! I love the thought and effort that went into such a simple gift. Anyone can give you cash but not everyone would be thoughtful enough to go to the bank and have it changed into another currency. It's so thoughtful.


Last week we got our second gift (don't worry, I'm not going to detail every gift we get). Our second gift was also from friends who couldn't make it to the wedding. Instead of cash, they gave us a gift card to Lowe's. It's intention isn't to buy the power tools we registered for but to help us complete (once we start) our new house.

We were at Lowe's over the weekend and the gift card will cover some decorative tiles we'd love in our bathroom. Again, a great gift. The gift will last longer than most and every time I look at the tiles I'll think of my friends.

What simple wedding gifts did you receive or give that really stood out?

P.S. Yes, the title is from the Wu-Tang Clan. :)

No comments: