Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Reading Out Loud!

After my mini-ceremony tantrum, Mr. Joey and I sat down and selected readings for our ceremony. We each picked one and agreed on the the third. So here are our picks.

My pick: Reading 1

“Wherever you go, I shall go,
wherever you live, I shall live.
Your people will be my people,
and your God will be my God.
Where you die, I shall die and there I shall be buried.
Let Yahweh bring ills on me,
if anything but death should part me from you!” -- Ruth 1:16-17

Mr. Joey's pick: Reading 2

Strive for the greater gifts.
And I will show you a more excellent way.

If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels,
but do not have love,
I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

And if I have prophetic powers,
and understand all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have all faith,
so as to remove mountains,
but do not have love,
I am nothing.

If I give away all my possessions,
and if I hand over my body to be burned,
but do not have love,
I gain nothing.

Love is patient;
love is kind;
love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude.

It does not insist on its own way;
it is not irritable or resentful;
it does not rejoice in wrongdoing,
but rejoices in the truth.

It bears all things,
believes all things,
hopes all things,
endures all things.
Love never ends. --1 Corinthians 12: 31-13: 8

Our Pick: Gospel

Jesus said to those around him:

“From the beginning of creation,
’God made them male and female.
For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother,
and be joined to his wife,
and the two shall become one flesh.’

So they are no longer two,
but one flesh.
Therefore, what God has joined together,
let no one separate.” -- Mark 10: 6-9

So we finally picked out readings. My reading is actually a conversation between two cousin, but I liked it apart from the last line. Mr. Joey went for a very popular reading. We're not sure we're going use the entire text above. We're still checking on that.

Did you pick your ceremony readings together or did each of you select one?

No comments: