Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Bittersweet Victory and A Bittersweet Dilemma

Way back when, I posted our wedding budget. It was final and it wasn't. We knew we only had about $15,000 to spend on the wedding AND the honeymoon but where we spent it was up for grabs. By my calculations, it was doable if we only got 125-130 RSVPS. Well, here we are, less than 70 days until the wedding and it looks like we'll get no more than 123 people of the 157 invited. We still have 9 responses we're waiting for but if they all say yes, we'll still be at 123.

On the one hand, I'm so relieved. My parents offered to pitch in extra because most of the extra guests were theirs. I didn't want to take any more of their money and I was really hoping to keep to our budget. On the other hand, I am still a little sad that we got to our desired guest count because a lot of my friends couldn't come out. I guess that's how it goes.

So here's our bittersweet dilemma, should we add to the guest list?

At the very least, we can add 2 people. At the very most, I bet we can add about 7 people. We do have an extra guest list but it's complicated. Basically, we can't invite one couple and not invite the others. Our guest list is made up of two groups: the teachers in Mr. Joey's Department and our mutual former co-workers from EMP. There are just enough people in each group that even with 7 possible invites, they all would not be able to come.

The other option is to invite people we haven't seen or talk to in years who are not part of either of those groups. On top of that, I only have one poster invitation left. How would I invite them? Email? Phone call? I can't have them reprinted. Our screen printer reused the screen he made for our poster.

Actually, there is one more option. We could leave the guest list as is and use the extra money for the honeymoon. I can't decide. I really want people to be part of our big day, but I also don't want things to get complicated. What would you do?

No comments: