Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Taking it Back to the Old Country

Mr. Joey and I both lived in Russia. Actually, I take that back. I lived in Russia and Mr. Joey lived in the U.S.S.R. in the early 1980s. His Dad had a one year teaching fellowship at Moscow State University in 1982 or 1983, and the whole family moved there.

Mr. Joey and i have different feeling about Russia. I loved it and would go back any day. He's not to fond of it. All he remembers is lots of snow, lots of cabbage and lots of strange days in a soviet kindergarten. I think everyone but FFIL Joey feels that away about their time in Moscow.

I bring this up because of the groom's cake we're not doing. I thought about doing a groom's pie since Mr. Joey doesn't like cake, but he said it wasn't necessary and wasn't sure he wanted one.

I was fine with his decision until FMIL Joey sent me an email with fun cakes from Russian bakers.
These are my favorites...






I really like the last one and this would have been my choice for a groom's cake. When Mr. Joey lived in Moscow, he was required to join the Young Pioneers. It's sort of like the boy scouts and maybe a little of Jr. ROTC (minus all the physical tests). We all tease him about his time as a Young Pioneer because of his marching skills. Apparently his favorite part of his time there was marching during Young Pioneer events and meetings. He's a skilled marcher I guess. Ah....if only he liked cake.

Are you doing a groom's cake? What interesting shape will it take?

Oh, and I'll leave you with this shot of my Young Pioneer (on the right) and his brother .

No comments: