Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Something to Talk About

I have a confession.  I'm a little worried about what people will say about our wedding.  There's no fancy dress, cathedral wedding or amazing flower arrangements. 

Actually, I'm not concerned what people say about Mr. Joey and I.  I've always marched to the beat of my own drum which I DIY'd myself, and anyone who knows Mr. Joey will say the same about him.  Who I am worried about are my parents.

With 38 days to go, my parents have fully bought in to the style of the wedding.  They know there is no flowing gown or wedding cake.  They know about the yellow shoes, short wedding dress and the DIY'd everything else.  While they weren't jumping for joy at first, they seem to be now.  Mama Joey told me the other day that she was really proud that we'd decided to do the wedding on a budget.  She herself had a $30 wedding dress and all together spent less than $900 on their wedding in 1979.  My Mom is the queen of practicality and I am Mama Joey's daughter.

When Mama Joey jumped on the semi-alternative bandwagon, I knew I still had my Dad to convince.  He comes from a family where weddings are a week long affair and parents spend their life savings on the event.  I know he wanted a cake, a large gown and a full mass.  But surprisingly, he came around too.  

So what am I worried about?  I'm worried about what people will think about my parents.  In my family weddings are big and fancy or they don't happen at all.  I can already hear my aunts talking, "why didn't they spend money on her dress?" or "She made all the table decorations?  Why? "  Maybe I'm over reacting but it's happened before.  When Mr. Joey and I moved back to Seattle, some of my relatives asked my Mom why she let me live in the neighborhood I moved to.  Couldn't she have pitched in some rent so I could live somewhere nicer? 

My parents have come a long way and are excited to see what we put together.  On the day of the wedding, I know that even if everything went wrong, they'd only see perfection (as would we) but in the days and weeks later, that's when I worry about people chipping away at the perfection.  

I don't know why my aunts are they way they are.  Maybe it's an asian thing?  They are still talking about a cousin who didn't get married in the Catholic Church.  She got married over 15 years ago!  

I don't want people to think my parents are cheap or stingy or didn't care.  I want them to see that my parents cared enough to step back and let us have the wedding we wanted.  I want them to see they raised someone who was responsible to live within her means.  I wish we had more to spend on this wedding but don't -- not with the house.  My parents would give us more but I can't ask them for that.  I couldn't accept more than they already pitched in.

I guess all we can do is put things together as best as we can, fill every venue with love and tell all the naysayers to suck it!  I mean that in the nicest way.  :)  

Anyone else doing something out of the ordinary and are a little worried about what others might say?


No comments: