Monday, March 2, 2009

I'm marrying a music snob!

I am. I'm marrying a music snob. A music snob that doesn't dance. Mr. Joey is a self proclaimed music snob who is part of music snob group. That's what I get for marrying a guy I met at a music museum I guess.

image

Luckily for me, he doesn't criticize anyone's taste. He knows what he likes and what he doesn't. There are definitely band and musical genres I like that he doesn't, but he never says word and doesn't complain if Brit Rock is playing (Keane, Travis).


What does this have to do with the wedding? Well, when we started planning, I put him in charge of 3 things: music, drink and rehearsal dinner space. He's been great about the ceremony music. I think he may have already picked out the pieces he wants played. The reception? Well that's another story all together.

The first problem is the first dance song. Nothing "Cliche" he says. What does that mean? Well, nothing by Sade, Diana Krall (who he loves), Frank Sinatra or someone similar. Also, I'm pretty sure it means nothing you've probably heard on popular radio. I suggested a few classic Beach Boys songs and song by Ryan Adams called When the Stars Go Blue, but he wasn't too excited about them. Finding a song could be as hard as finding a tie!


The second problem is that he doesn't know what to do about the dance music. He doesn't dance and the songs he likes that have a good beat to shake your booty to are probably not appropriate for a wedding. I might have to step in and put together the dance mix but I know he'll cringe when he hears it.

Is your hubby to be a baker, artist or musician who exhibits a bit of profession related snobbery? Did that snobbery effect your wedding choices (music, cake, food, invitations)? Did you let him have his way or come to a compromise?

No comments: