Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bring on the Madness!

Since the "madness" will soon be upon us, I thought I'd share with everyone a few of the Joey traditions. Our first tradition has of course to do with the NCAA men's tournament. Every year we put together a bracket, invite our friends to play with us and always, ALWAYS watch the final game together. If we're not in the same city, we still both watch and text or IM back and forth. I don't know how or why it is a tradition but it is. I look forward to putting together my bracket pick every year. Go Huskies!! (Sorry Pengy, I know you're a Bruin).

Our next tradition is the Annual Joey End of the Summer Bash. Since Mr. Joey is a teacher, we always end the summer with a party. We supply a half keg and mixers, and friends bring whatever else they want to drink. Sometimes we open up the grill so guest can BYO BBQ. It's a great time. Not stressful at all and cheap to throw. Summers are crazy and we always feel like we miss out on seeing everyone. I can't wait to have our End of Summer Bash also be our housewarming party. Our house building is right on schedule!

Our yummiest tradition has to be Thanksgiving. Every year we prepare a themed thanksgiving meal. The first year we made all the traditional dishes, the second year we had Chesapeake inspired dishes (Virginia spoon bread, Old Bay Turkey), the third year we did Hawaiian food (Kalua turkey, spam fried rice) and last year we had New Orleans on the table. Hawaiian was the easiest and the tastiest but they were all really great. This year we're thinking Chinese or New Mexican. Thanksgiving is my favorite of "our" traditions.

Our last tradition is around Christmas. Every time we go on a trip together, we always buy a Christmas ornament from the city we visited. We have a great one from New Orleans of the Crayfish playing the double bass. I was on Etsy one day (of course) and came across the custom ring bowls by Paloma's Nest. It's a little more than I wanted to spend on a ring pillow/bowl (like $20 more) but the more I thought about it, the more I realized what bigger journey are we going to go on than marriage? It won't always feel like a vacation but I certainly hope it will be filled with many of them.


image

Mr. Joey liked the idea of the bowl doubling as our first ornament as a married couple, so I ordered it. We went with just our first names and the date.

What traditions have you developed as a couple? Are you incorporating any of them into the wedding?

No comments: