Friday, March 13, 2009

It costs to look good

I've noticed that is a lot of places I've lived, eating healthy costs a lot more than eating unhealthy. Poultry and lean pork always costs more than fattier beef and pork cuts. Fresh vegetables cost more than instant mashed potatoes or boxes of Mac and Cheese. I know there are exceptions like tofu (always cheap and yummy) and frozen vegetables (the price has gone up), but on the whole making low-cal meal can cost more than just buying junk.

Since I'm trying to get back to being healthy and feeling good about my body, I've been trying to eat healthy and exercise more. I'm finding that's easier said than done on a budget. I think I'm lucky because I live near a really great produce stand where I can get fresh fruit and vegetables really cheap but I know others out there aren't so lucky. It's hard to justify the $3 tomato when you are living paycheck to pay check or cutting corners on your wedding because of the budget. OK, that may be a little dramatic but you get the picture.


image


Exercise can be expensive too. Gym memberships, classes, work-out gear, shoes, personal trainers -- it all adds up. I know there are some cheap/free activities out there like running, but what if you can't run?

So I can't run. No, it's not that I don't want run, it's that I can't. A couple years ago I was getting sharp pains in my knees so my doctor sent me to physical therapist. The physical therapist told me that if I hadn't come to see her, I could expect to have surgery on both knees in about ten years. OUCH! I've got some real bone on bone action in my knees. The crunching sound they make when I do squats is no joke. So what does that mean for me? Well, no running, kickboxing, step-class, jumping, lunges and up hill hikes.

When I told my friend that I was looking into getting more healthy (weight and knees) she suggested a dietitian and physical trainer. Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover a dietitian even if weight is a health issues unless you are diabetic. A trainer is out of the question because of the budget. So I'm trying to come up with some low cost options to help me get healthed up.

My employer subsidizes part of gym membership dues, so I try to go to the classes I can do like Spin and weight training. There used to be an awesome Aqua class but the instructor left the gym. I used to swim at my gym but the pool water has been a little questionable in the last few months.

Getting to gym can be hard without a car. We don't have a gym that's walking or a short bus ride distance from us. When I got to the gym, I have to make sure Mr. Joey can get me afterwards. Working gym times out between our schedules can get sticky but we try.

To compensate for not making it to the gym, I've bought a couple sets of weights and have some DVDs I like to do at home. I own the Weddingbee approved 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels and I also have the Wedding Workout by Women's Health. Those are great in a pinch but after a while they do get repetitive. My cheap alternative to buying DVDs or subscribing to Netflix is getting stuff from the library. The Seattle Public Library has a great catalogue and a lot of workout DVDs. I put a 5 or 6 in my hold queue and I use which ever one arrives. It adds a little variety without me spending money.

What low costs tactics have you used to lose weight or get healthy?

No comments: