Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Somebody, Please Take Our Money!


I thought finding a reception space was hard until FMIL asked me to look for a rehearsal dinner spot. The requirements? A place for 35 people to dine for about $25-30 a head (not including, tax, tip or beverages), serve wine and beer, have some vegetarian options and will serve family style (no pizza). Oh, on a Friday night around 6pm-ish. Sounds easy enough right? Wrong! I've dealt with 6 different restaurants, some leading me on while others flat out telling me that they were not willing to lose that Friday night business.

I'm not trying to arrange a budget dinner at a 5 star restaurant. All the places I looked had main courses that feed 2-3 people for $10-15 a piece. I'm (well, FILs) are willing to spend over $30 a head for a 2 hour dinner. I think the math says our group is more lucrative.

I have to say that I am really amazed that people don't want our money. Family style and we'll order 2 or 3 months ahead of time? Doesn't seem to complicated. I'll spare you the details about the restaurants that haven't worked. Let's just say some place lacked serious customer service skills.

Since finding a venue has been so hard, we've had to think outside the box, or rather in it. The first place that came to mind that was a little different was a sandwich shop called Baguette Box. They serve gourmet versions of Bahn Mi (Vietnamese Sandwiches). Their sandwiches are to die for. Crispy tofu braised in coconut juice? Yum! They also have very good sides and delicious truffle fries. The only thing about this place is that it closes at 5pm and doesn't serve alcohol.
I called, just to inquire if a private party was possible and the new wasn't bad. I have to say, I was so happy to get someone nice on the phone. The manager like the idea of holding the rehearsal dinner there. The place only seats 20, but we'd have the whole place to ourselves to mingle. I asked him if we could bring in our own wine if we purchase a banquet license and he said he would check. All I got at the end of the call was promise that the manager would call the owner and find out if my idea was an option, but that was enough for me. I hope it works out.

I told Mr. Joey the news when I got home and while he was also excited about the prospects of Baguette Box, he warned me not to get my hopes up. So we set about trying to come up with more options. Mr. Joey suggested we go back to our original catering/reception venue list and look at all the places that were way too small for our reception. Viola! We found 3 caterers we really liked who came in our price range and had their own space. I sent bid requests and I have my fingers crossed that something good will come out of it.

If I had my way, we'd do a BBQ or something at home. The Joey FILs want to avoid that since the wedding is so early the next day. They don't want people to spend a lot of time cooking and cleaning the day before. Makes sense.
Anyone else have so many problems coming up with a venue for their rehearsal dinner?

No comments: