Monday, April 20, 2009

If We Had to Do It Again - Part 2

Two words -- Salk Institute.





I know I'm trying to be frugal with our wedding budget and save for the construction of our house but I would give my right leg, left arm and donate all my healthy cells to the institute to get married here.

Here a little background: Jonas Salk invented the polio vaccine (amazing) and purposely did not patent it so it could be available to everyone (double amazing). Because of his talent and forward thinking, he was given A LOT of money to build a research institute. Because he's so smart, he headed west to the paradise that is now La Jolla, California to find somewhere that would inspire artists and scientist alike. He teamed up with the amazing architect Louis Kahn and together they created the place of my wedding dreams (and haven for biological studies).

Mr. Joey is a architecture nerd. All his friends from college are architects or came from families of architects. I think he even did his master's thesis on the effect building architecture has on high school learning. See -- architecture nerd:) Anywho, when we started making plans for San Diego, Mr. Joey asked if we could go on a tour of the Salk Institute. I thought we were going to learn more about polio, so I of course was in.

Oh, there was little about polio and that's ok. The tour was about the architecture and vision of Kahn and Salk. Stunning. Absolutely stunning. Seriously, I would have considered a destination wedding to San Diego just to get married here. Sounds crazy but I could see the lines of my dress in the architecture of the buildings.

Alas, were not getting married here but someone could. The tour guide said that they do host weddings on the weekends. I have no idea what it costs, but it can't be cheap. I did find out that visiting the grounds and the cafeteria is free and open to the public. If you are in the area and need somewhere to inspire you, I can think of no better place. If you are an area bride, I have two more words for you -- engagement shoot. Think about it. I would:)

Mr. Joey soaking in a few rays and a lot of inspiration.



Wouldn't you love to say your vows and have this in the background?

Perfect place for the reception. Just below the perfect place for the ceremony.


How about sharing a kiss down one of these halls or landings? Sounds like a nice engagement picture to me.

If I Had to Do It Over Again - Part 1

No comments: