Monday, April 27, 2009

A Place for Memories

Mr. Joey isn't a big picture person. He said that we had to smile to one too many as a child and that has ruined him for life. I think he looks great in pictures but I do know what he's talking about. In about half of his pictures, he gets this awkward uncomfortable smile. I also am not comfortable in front of the camera. I feel like my lips and cheeks take over me face. I guess everyone has their picture issues. :)

Because we're not picture taking people, we don't have very many photos commemorating big events. We don't have one from the night he proposed and there aren't many of us (that we know of) from the last wedding we attended. Instead, we collect something else that captures the moment -- corks. Yes, it sounds weird but it's different and it works for us.

Every time we celebrate with bottle of something, we save the cork and write the date and occasion on it. We have one from our first night in our apartment, our engagement, various holidays and celebration dinners. There's no actual image to waken the memory but just picking up the cork and looking at the date and occasion stirs up the memory of entire celebration for me in my head. And it's not about the vintage or type of beverage consumed (there are a lot of Cook's corks) but about how much fun we had or how what we toasted changed our lives forever.

Up until now, the memory corks have been living in random decorative bowls around the apartment. They don't have a permanent home that reflects the great joy they represent. So what does this have to do with the wedding? Well, everything but more specifically it has to do with the flower girl's basket.

Originally, I thought I'd buy a small basket after Easter when they are on sale and dress it up with some flowers and ribbon. $3 or $4 later I would be done. Perfect. Then of course I was on Etsy and stumbled upon Up in the Air Somewhere. Susan makes these beautiful vases and bowls. I thought about buying one but talked myself out of it. What would I use it for? Then that night when I got home, I looked down at our little bowl of memories and realized one of her pieces would be the perfect home for them. Then of course I thought (because I have to be practical) that could also use our new memory bowl as unique flower girl basket.

I sent Susan an email asking if she'd be interested in creating a custom piece for me. I told that 's like something that could be used as a flower girl's basket but could also be incorporated into our new home. I sent color samples and picture of my dress to give her an idea of the style of the wedding.

Susan was excited that chance to make something for our wedding (I'm so humbled). She sent these two drawing and a little description of each. I love the first one and think I'm going to go that way.


First image: I think this one is my favorite and I think the more modern option. It's the shingle basket. The rim of the bowl would have three rows of overlapping rounded paper squares that are attached at the top so they have a sort of ruffled, loose feel. They would be the yellow of the flower girls dress and the rest of the bowl would be matte white. The inside of the bowl would be sealed in a glossy polyurethane for a little texture contrast. I'm thinking that the "shingles" on the bowl will sort of reflect the folded details on your dress.

Second image: This is a minimal interpretation of the classic flower girl basket. It's the stripe basket. There are two stripes of the flower girl yellow painted on the bowl. The rest is white and glossy inside and out. Two yellow ribbons would hang where the handle is attached. Again, the handle would be detachable as well as the ribbon, so you'd end up with a simple striped bowl.
Besides pictures, do you have other ways of preserving special memories or celebrations?

No comments: