Monday, April 6, 2009

Brown Dress Plan: weeks 2 & 3

I've just completed weeks 2 & 3 of the brown dress plan. I have to say, week 1 was much easier but 2& 3 weren't bad. I learned a few things that I hope will get me through weeks 5, 6 and 100.

My goals were:

  1. Spin class twice a week
  2. Eating breakfast every morning
  3. Weights and abs an hour a week
  4. Additional hour of cardio
How'd I do?
  1. Spin class twice a week - week 2: 1 spin class week 2: no spin classes
  2. Eating breakfast every morning : check
  3. Weights and abs an hour a week : check.
  4. Additional hour of cardio : week 2: 2 hours week 3: 3.5 hours
I also managed to get in 2 yoga classes both weeks and a little extra walking in during week 3 since Spring has finally come to Seattle. I wasn't as good with the only walking to the grocery store part of the plan but it did teach me some lessons.

My firsy lesson learned is all about planning. Since I take the bus to work, buying food and storing it in my car while I'm at the gym isn't an option. I need plan my workout days ahead of time so I know which days I need to go to the store. What about going home first and then to the gym? Oh, that's a big no-no for me. Once I'm home, I won't want to leave -- especially for the gym. If I'm home, I will do some weight training or workout DVD. Basically, planning is essential. I need to write out our dinner menu for the week over there weekend, and plan which days I go to the gym and which I workout at home and plan my shopping accordingly.

My second lesson learned is about being flexible. I love my Spin class but it fills really quick. I got to the gym at 4:50 for a 5:30 Spin class and it was already full. During the summer, getting a spot isn't as hard, but right now, it seems impossible unless you find a way to sign up really, really early. I think I need to either explore other classes or just jump on a machine until class turn out dwindles a little. It sucks because 1 hour on the elliptical isn't as satisfying as an hour of Spinning.

What lessons did you learn about a new health living plan or diet after the first few weeks? How did you adjust your plan or diet?

No comments: