Monday, December 15, 2008

A dress just for me

When my sister was getting married, we went with my Mom to try on a billion dresses. 3 stores and 8 hours later we found her an amazing dress. I wish I had pictures of it and how great she looked trying it on. Sadly, she hasn't worn it yet and she's been married 2 years. Her husband is in military and found out that he would be deployed a few weeks before their scheduled wedding. They ended up getting married at the courthouse. My sister still has hopes of having a real ceremony and reception where she can wear her beautiful dress.


When I got engaged, my Mom suggested I wear my sister's unworn dress. While I love it on her, I don't think it's my style. Besides, I could tell that she really wanted to keep it for herself though if I wanted to, she'd let me wear it. I passed and everyone but my Mom seemed relieved.


My Mom kept asking me what kind of dress I wanted. She sent pictures and links to dresses online. I looked at all of them but all it made me sure of was of what kind of dress I didn't want and how much money we didn't have to spend on a dress.


I was at home working one day and decided to take a break to see what was new on Etsy...and there it was. I didn't hesitate. I contacted
Liza Rietz and asked her if the material of the dress was dressy enough for a wedding gown and as soon as she said yes, I was sold. The material is a cotton sateen that is a really pale grey.



I was a little worried about having a custom dress made for me in August 2008 when the wedding wasn't for another year. Liza said that once payment was made, she'd cut and put the material aside and that in Feb/March I could contact her with my measurements or come down to Portland for a fitting. Done! I paid for the dress right then and there. Liza even sent me a sample of the material so I could match accessories to it.

I've made decisions like this before. It's not the first time leaped before I looked. I did a study abroad in Russia and didn't speak the language and twice moved to new cities and took an apartment without seeing them first. It's always worked out. What part of your wedding are you taking chances on? Using a photographer you never met? Bought table decor without seeing it in person?

No comments: