Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Papaya Dog is getting married!

It all happened so fast, the proposal that is. Mr. Papaya Dog and I have been dating for almost 4 years. It's all a blur but here's what I remember.

I came home one day from work, June 24th to be exact, and noticed a bottle of bubbly on the kitchen counter. I didn't really think anything of it and after I put down my stuff and said hi to Mr. Papaya Dog, I went to work on dinner. Later, as we were finishing up our meal, Mr. Papaya dog asked me if I'd like to open a birthday present early. Of course I said yes. He brought out one of those cute gift boxes shaped like a Chinese takeout box. I thought I knew what it was but of course I was wrong. A few months back, I was eyeing this cute top at J.Crew that I thought I saw him buy as I was headed towards the dressing room.

It wasn't the top. I opened the gift box and all I saw was tissue paper. I pulled all of it out and at the bottom was a little square just big enough to fit a small pair of hoop earrings or a ring. But of course I thought I was getting earrings. Nope. I unwrapped the square and there in my little hand was this gorgeous vintage diamond ring. I looked over at him and he managed to muster out, "Will you marry me?" and my answer wasn't yes, it was, "ARE YOU SERIOUS?" Not quite the answer he thought he'd get but it meant the same as yes.

Mr. Papaya Dog told me later he planned to ask me when we went down to Portland for my birthday the following week but he couldn't wait. He bought the ring a week before at an antique jewelry store and the thought of having to hide his gift for another week was more than he could bare.

In the end there was no getting down on one knee (he could hardly keep from falling out of the chair) and no elaborate plan. Just plain and simple and perfectly us. How did your Mister pop the question? Was there fireworks and sandy beaches or just a little Chinese takeout box after dinner?

No comments: