Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Panel

I'm horrible at making decisions. I think about them too long and change my mind constantly. If I didn't have my panel, I probably would have bought 10 pairs of yellow heels before I actually made a decision -- on the day of my wedding. When I was designing our invitations, I made 6 different variations of the same design and couldn't pick between them until my panel stepped in.

The only permanent member of my panel is my friend and old roommate Katie. She and I lived together (and barely survived) grad school in Manchester, England. We did almost everything together. She has great style and is now working at Echo in New York. I trust her to tell me the truth and I trust her style. We do everything by email and the arrangement works great.


The second person on my panel is my sister and maid of honor. She and I have totally different styles and for the most part, that's the biggest reason she's not consulted on every decision. Well, that and the fact that she lives in Italy which makes instant feedback hard.

My sister is on the left

The third person on the panel is my Mom. Like my sister, my Mom and I have totally different opinions on style. I rely on my Mom for etiquette questions, food decisions and other opinions that don't have anything to do with fashion.

The fourth person on the panel is my friend Jeremy. He's the man on the panel who I turn to when I need to know if my choice of wedding color or invitation is far too feminine. I don't want the wedding to be to girly, that's not our style as a couple but sometimes in the heat of the moment, the girly options are the cutest! Jeremy is great because he too is in the middle of wedding planning and understand me when I'm neurotic!

Jeremy as a cow and his lovely bride Dani!
The last person on the panel is of course Mr. Papaya Dog. His opinion matters the most, but obviously he can't help with wedding dress and accessory decisions. On more than one occasion we have had to compromise. We like totally different invitation designs and in the end went for the design that fell in the middle.

Do you have a wedding panel? Who is helping you make your big wedding decisions?

No comments: