Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Engagement night contemplation

After we popped open the bubbly and called our parents, we both sat at our places at the dinner table and fell into deep contemplation. Something big just happened and I think we both needed a moment to take it in. After a few minutes of joyful silence, I suddenly wondered, what is this going to change? At the time, we had been dating for 3.5 years and living together for 2 of those years. We established a separate joint account and were even on a shared cell phone plan. We spent Christmases with both families and knew each other parents pretty well. We even took one another into consideration when accepting our current jobs. I wasn't sure what would change. My last name? Maybe, but I'll save that for another post.

So I asked Mr.Papaya Dog what would change. He thought for a minute and said, "in our everyday lives, probably not much. In the grand scheme of things, probably a lot but I'm not sure what that change is." I still am trying to quantify what will change. The one change I do notice is talking about kids isn't a someday daydream but suddenly something that will happen one day. Anyone notice any immediate changes besides the wedding planning?

No comments: