Friday, February 13, 2009

Planning from Afar

OK, I’m not actually in Afar (a region in Ethiopia) but I am in Ethiopia. Although my work trips are crazy, I do tend to find a lot of down time. Unlike being at home, I don’t have errands to run after work. I don’t have to clean or cook dinner. And if I go to the gym, it’s about 30 seconds walk from my hotel room. I’m usually in my room by 6pm and I’m online until about 9:30pm. I’m not necessarily actively doing work in the evenings, more just making myself available to answer questions from my co-workers back in Seattle and emailing with Mr. Papaya Dog.

So this leaves a lot of time to get wedding details out of the way. What details you ask? Well this evening I have been emailing hotels where we are interested in holding blocks of rooms. We’re hoping to find a hotel that is close to the reception site, is accessible to downtown either by shuttle or public transport, and one that provides interesting amenities. My favorite amenity so far is from hotel that lets guests borrow bikes. I heard that the Hotel Monaco gives guests goldfish as pets during their stay. Another hotel I emailed does a complementary wine and cheese happy hour.

I haven’t received responses back yet but I just emailed 6 hours ago and now it is midnight in Seattle. What we, Mr. Papaya Dog and I, can’t decide is whether to hold blocks at more than hotel. I know some of our guests will be on a tight budget and want something as affordable as possible while some guests will prefer location and be willing to spend more.

What are you looking for in a hotel for your out-of-town guests? Are you holding blocks at more than one hotel?

No comments: