Friday, February 27, 2009

the meeting and becomings of the Joeys...

Mr. Joey and I have been dating for a little over 4 years but have known each other for almost 5 year. We met when we both worked at EMP. I had just left my job and DC and was planning to spend the summer in Seattle before heading to grad school in England. I had such a rewarding but stressful job in DC and was looking for something fun and super easy for the summer. I got the job as a Guest Services Representative (slave with light labor) during the interview and started the following Monday.



I remember the first time I saw Mr. Joey. I thought, "hmm, he's cute and I could see myself liking him." Of course I was trying to be practical and decided I wouldn't date anyone over the summer. Mr. Joey was a great friend to make. I really enjoyed our time together that summer as friends. Dating wasn't really an option then as he was dating someone already and I ended up having a nice summer fling. That's practical right?


Mr. Joey and I left EMP on the same day. While I was headed over the Atlantic, he was headed to St. John's University in New York. We parted ways but promised to stay in touch. Over the next several months we shared a lot of emails. I really valued his emails and though he didn't know it, he helped me get through the initial adjustment to Manchester a lot. Moving to England isn't as easy as one might think. I kept myself sane between Katie, Mr. Joey and my friends at the Cafe I worked part-time at.


We were both headed home for Christmas and arranged to do a little gift swap over dinner. One dinner turned into a few dinners. He was still with his girlfriend who was in New York and actually, the dinners weren't romantic in any way. One night he told me it wasn't working out between his and girlfriend and he had planned to break up with her when he got back. I was a little shocked but also didn't think the news would affect me much. A few nights later, on Boxing Day actually, we hung out with some old EMP friends and fell asleep together on the couch. There was no kissing or anything, just a nice night of sleep and snuggling for warmth. It was FREAKIN cold. I have never been so cold in my life!


The next day we decided there was something between us and attempted to talk about it over lunch. Not much was eaten. I told him I thought he needed to figure things out with his girlfriend before we could move forward but that I would be happy with whatever decision he made -- being together (over an ocean) or just staying friends. He said he knew what he wanted but I knew that could change when he got back. Well, I was wrong. He ended it with his girlfriend the day after he got back to New York and we've been together (sort of) ever since. We did spend the first 6 months with the Atlantic between us and months 9 - 18 living apart with me in DC and him in Brooklyn. God bless the Chinatown bus!


We're not proud of the fact that someone got hurt in all this but we are finally to place where we aren't apologizing for it either. Things happen for a reason. What will be will be and all that. I think it worked out in the end. Does your relationship beginning have some complications?


The happy couple on our first trip together. Isn't Lake Louise stunning!?

No comments: